Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software

Modifying a Switronix GP-S Battery Plate for Use On Cheese Plate

switronix_pb70

The Switronix PB70 is a relatively small and affordable V-Mount battery, that has some clever features like 1/4"-20 mounting holes built into it as well as a second quick release on top of the battery for accessories. (or mounting directly to a camera body, which I find to be pretty goofy)

Universal Version

Universal Version

BMCC Specific Version

BMCC Specific Version

We have the Switronix PB70 V-Mount Batteries and decided to go with a Switronix GP-S V-Mount Battery Plate to mount on a cheese plate, for use with the BMCC rig. This is in comparison to the BMCC specific version of the plate, that comes with a built in BMCC cable, and costs a lot more.

I wanted to be able to use the plate for all future cameras, as well as the BMCC we are using currently, without having a cable hanging off the plate if its not compatible with one of our future cameras. All that is needed is a different D-Tap cable to adapt to any future camera, as opposed to having a hard wired BMCC power plug hanging off.

After watching Caleb Pike use this battery plate on a cheese plate with no problem, we figured it would be as simple as bolting it on the cheese plate...that was not so.

As usual, it was gear surgery time...The issue with this Switronix GP-S battery plate is that it has pre-installed screws sticking out the back for mounting directly to a camera body like the RED Scarlet/Epic or Sony F55. This doesn't allow the plate to sit flush an a cheese plate, and even if it did, they would probably short the device out if the two terminals touched the cheese plate in any way.

The general consensus was "just break the tabs off," but I wanted to preserve the potential for using this with the back pins in the future, so I removed the screws and bent back the metal tabs without breaking  them, taped them off with good electrical tape so they couldn't come in to contact with anything, and then put some more tape on it for good measure. Sealed the case back up and it works perfectly now.